With the new year comes reflection and resolution. This post is a bit of both. For most of my adult life, I’ve had a tendency to start new projects, but never finish them. This begins to weigh on me, as more and more unfinished stuff accumulates. Last year, however, I realized something about the way I work, and it is going to change what I release on this blog a little bit.
Often, what excites me about a project isn’t the final product, but what I’m learning when I do it. When the learning stops, so does the whole point in doing the project in the first place. Knowing this, I’m going to start suppressing the urge to “finish” some projects before releasing them. Rather than have them sit, untouched, on my to do list forever, I’m just going to throw them out there, as is, and check them off the to-do list. I’ll be referring to projects that follow this process as “seeds”: not really done, but someone could pick them up if they want to. I’m assuming that most of these seeds will just sit there, which is fine. But, on the off chance that they provide some use to someone, I’m going to post them anyway.
I’ll try to say a bit about what I was trying to do, and what I learned with each seed I publish.
So far, here are the published DivNull seeds.